What are dental fillings?
- When there’s a cavity to fix, there’s a hole in the tooth that needs to be filled. Fillings are placed to fill in the hole in the tooth that remains after removing the cavity/infection from the tooth.
- Fillings can be tooth colored. You may have heard of these fillings called composite or resin.
- Some fillings are silver using a material called amalgam.
Most of the time we will place a tooth-colored filling. In some cases of bad hygiene, bleeding gums, swollen gums it is best to do a metal filling. We will discuss your options after an exam.
The best type of filling is no filling! Avoid cavities by:
- Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Avoid frequent, high sugar snacks
- Regular checkups with your dentist every 6 months
If your child does need a filling, it is best to fix it when it is small. This is why we want to see your child for an exam every 6 months.
Before treating a cavity, we will discuss the options and which filling will be best for their case.